Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

A Blog on Minnesota and National politics, religion, news, and life.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

That Old Familiar Feeling

First of all hattip to Pam who posted this first, I just thought it was so good I had to write on it as well. With all the crap that comes out of the media on a daily basis it is really not that hard to believe that my country that I live in and extremely proud of is an evil twisted entity of hellspawn and George W. Bush is the devil himself (although that is kinda hard to believe due to the fact that Bush&Co. just vanquished an invasion from hell quite recently (IMW 1,2,3)).

In the world I live in and the train of thought I follow I have rules that pertain to politics, the world, real life, and the french (except the french are always evil and they will die a horriable death):

1. Be well informed, know both sides of the issue, even if it hurts or ends up you are wrong. (In my case than means watching and reading CNN and FoxNews and attempting intelligent debate and covnersation with liberals)
2. Realize when you are wrong and adjust your views accordingly. (Every once in a great while I am wrong like once I thought that the South was evil for secceding from the Union and now I realize that not only was it their right to do so but that if given the chance I would have been down there myself.)
3. Have faith. (I personally am a Christian, I have a very strong faith and I am happy to have the beliefs that I hold. Usually when people say "have faith" it means belief in God, I would tend to agree, but barring a faith in God, which you should really have, isn't it better to believe just in case hell is real rather than hoping it's not. But, anyway, even if you don't believe in God you should still have faith in something and adhere to it, unless you have faith in the the U.N. or Hillary Clinton, in that case you were doomed to hell the second you were born.)
4. Realize that there is always something more that you are missing. (I know that there are more points that I could place on this list, but I can't think of them so I am going to stop.)

So, yeah, the point of this post is in the story below which Pam so nicely found for me to blatently borrow and expound on. I just think that these email chain things that show the good deeds that our soldiers do and they support they get from both the people at home and the places that they are fighting in are awsome because they show the side of the war and our soldiers that sadly we never get to see. Having said that I would request that the people that read this blog copy and paste this into an email with a short description (and a link to Pam's blog :P ) and send it to everyone you know. I realize that people don't like chain letters, but I always make sure to send ones like this along myself.

A mother writes:

My son serves in the military. He is still stateside right now. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes, telling me how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also.

But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the U.S. flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock.
The cashier reached up and touched the pin, and said proudly, "Yes, I always wear it and I probably always will. The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman:
"Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here in MY country to avoid."

Everyone within hearing distance cheered!