Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

A Blog on Minnesota and National politics, religion, news, and life.

Monday, February 14, 2005

The Democrats Need to Retreat and Regroup

Or is it regroup and retreat? I can never remember and personally I hope they don't figure this out so the "good guys" can keep winning. But here are my thoughts of what needs (and is most probable of happening) if the Democrats ever want to ever be a political force to be reckoned with ever again, assuming they figure it out at all.
The Democratic Party has done poorly in the past 6 or so elections (this includes White House, and congressional elections). In these past elections the Republicans have won the majority of the seats (or the presidency) and I am curious as to what is going to happen to the Democratic Party. I do not see that the Democrats, as they are now, can ever make a comeback on the political scene and I think that if they even want a chance of holding any power again a change is needed. As I see it there are three possible options, the party could move to the right, move to the left, or split. Concerning the option of moving to the right, I don't think it will happen, if it did they wouldn't be Democrats and it would suck all the fun out of life. It is possible they could move more to the left (as they have been doing slowly but surely), but I think the most likely possibility would be a split. Liberals (or Progressives if you prefer) have too many differing views on many things (mostly they just agree that they are liberal) so I think the really far left will split (maybe into the Progressive Party) forming a "radical left" sort of thing and then the Democrats that are not quite as far left (a.k.a. not so extreme) will form some sort of moderate party (maybe the donkeyalunts? lol) that combines both the ideals of the Conservative left and the Liberal right. Comments? Agreements? Disagreements? New party names? Feel free to comment.